Supply chain is becoming global. Ports & Terminals are the main gateways from which this supply chain moves. Any delay in containers, causes big disruption in customer’s supply chain.
To plan in advance and avoid any disruptions in supply chain, customer expects to get container status 24×7 and from anywhere in the world. With advent of mobility and internet, they expect it to be available on mobile or tab.
Thousands of containers move in and out of terminals every day. With increased competition, terminals are interested in achieving customer loyalty through high customer satisfaction.
Traditional and manual customer support process costs lot of money. Also it is error prone. With customer expectations of 24×7 support and sometimes in multiple, languages, terminals have to either spend lot of money or risk of losing unsatisfied customer.
Interestingly, most of the information is available in Terminal Operating System in real time. But without limited access to this information, it remains in information island.
The best solution to increase customer satisfaction, reduce cost is to develop a Customer Self-service Portal. Such a portal accesses customer required information in real time from TOS and other systems like Billing etc. Such portals are secure, have multi-lingual abilities and available 24×7. Also can be accessed from anywhere from world and from any device. It can send SMS or emails to customer either on request from customer or pro-actively.
Below is the broad architecture of the customer self-service portal
Such a system can be enhanced further to show details like,
- Special Service request Management
- Container hold/released related information
- Showing billing information
- Payment processing
- Internal Management reporting
Such Customer Self-Service portals greatly reduce support costs. At the same time it increases customer satisfaction and loyalty
Port Community: What’s In It for them ?
Shipping business has many critical and external components such as shipping companies, customs, CFS (Container Freight Stations) and more.All actions of these organizations need to happen in synchronized fashion for smooth supply chain flow. This can happen only if right information is available at right time.
Customer service portal is a foundation to seamlessly connect with whole port community. Portal can be integrated with shipping lines systems to provide greater visibility of cargo to customer. Information like import availability, container booking and delivery information can be shared through portal.
It can be integrated with Customs, CFS and Trucking companies so that real time information, billing information can flow seamlessly.Also payments can be processed through this systems with direct update to accounts receivables in financial systems.
Why Envecon ?
Developing such a system needs intimate understanding of Ports and Terminal business. Besides it also need deep functional understanding of TOS and it’s data structures. Envecon has extensive and end-to-end experience with ports and terminals in 32 countries. This makes
Envecon expert and most capable IT service provider in Ports & Terminal space. Customer Service Portals also requires data to be pulled in real time. Since the application is web-based, security, performance and customer experience becomes more critical. Envecon has proven technical abilities in this space.
Explore Envecon’s SAP Service Portfolio
How to get high visibility of your critical assets in real time and improve performance by continuously monitoring success and setting targets for the team and it is ready to use.
Terminal Asset Performance Dashboard gives us an overview on the overall performance of critical assets in the terminal to keep it running. It gives general availability of the equipment in real-time and on a periodic basis i.e. daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or year to year overview.
You can assess the number of breakdowns, stoppages, meantime to repair etc on each type of equipment’s used in the terminal.
The business owners will get high visibility on the past and current asset performance to make effective decisions on capital assets and at the same time assist in optimizing TCO (total cost of ownership) on capital assets is critical to manage a profitable business.
Enable the port to maximize the performance of physical assets over their entire life-cycle, ensuring asset availability and reliability while reducing operational costs and risk.
OneView will give you the tool to make your decisions faster by giving a real-time visualization of asset performance on a dashboard. A real time visibility and historical comparison of data will be helpful for equipment allocation planning and accurate maintenance forecasting functionality.
The dashboard provides an overall vista of equipment utilization and its performance. It offers real-time visibility of data and is especially useful in equipment allocation planning and forecasting the functionality of terminal operations.
Click here to get into OneView world and explore our Interactive Dashboard too
Assets lock up huge capital in asset intensive industries like Ports & Terminals, Logistics, Mining, Power, Telecom etc. Assets include cranes, trucks, furnaces, transformers, communication towers, cables and more.
Unplanned and reactive maintenance caused by break-downs increases costs, employee stress and hurt organization’s reputation in customer’s mind.
Any cost saved in capital assets, due to use of better utilization of existing assets directly increases profit. So is any cost saved in maintaining assets.
Multiple assets work in synchronized fashion to generate throughput. Unplanned downtime in any one asset affects total throughput. Planning asset performance, MRO# Inventory and human skills is a complex process.
Any asset intensive industry deserves capable asset management software, well mapped business processes and a well trained team.
Why one Single IT Platform for The Organization ?
As depicted in below diagram, all asset management processes have impact in other key areas like Finance, Materials, Procurement, Payroll etc.
Why Not a Standalone Asset Management System ?
Standalone Asset Management Systems fail miserably because of :-
- Huge integration requirement with other systems
- Master data harmonization and synchronization efforts
- More diverse skills requirement due to multiple technologies
- Additional upgrade efforts due to multiple applications
- Sub-optimal license uses
- More hardware requirement
- Higher IT maintenance cost
- Higher training costs
It is expensive, risky and frustrating to have bunch of systems, try to integrate those to weave a one single solution.
Why SAP ?
From leading Fortune 500 organizations to small organization with vision trust SAP for their business areas. SAP is the de-facto leader in Enterprise Applications areas for last 40 years. With rapid addition of functionality and technology, excellent ecosystem including fabulous support, SAP is increasing this lead.
Besides strong EAM functionality, SAP brings in-depth functionality and exciting roadmap for every aspect of organization. This includes, Finance, Costing, Materials Management, Procurement, HR, Payroll, Analytic, Service & Support and more.
By choosing SAP, organization avoids unconnected and unaligned set of applications. SAP offers screen simplification and personalization for easy acceptance by users. SAP can be implemented in phases as per organization priorities.
In summary, SAP provides One Single Solid Platform for Whole Organization!
Why SAP for Enterprise Asset Management ?
Below diagram shows End to End coverage of business processes for SAP Enterprise Asset Management (EAM)
Following are some of the strengths of SAP EAM,
- One organization, One Platform !
- Simply unmatched depth in EAM functionality
- Avoids information islands
- Minimal integration risks and costs
- Economies of scale (Licenses, Services)
- Economies of skills (Skills, Trainings, Employee Portability)
- Solid platform for Master Data Management Initiatives
- World’s leading mobile field service functionality with Syclo Works Manager
- Ready integration with world class SAP Analytic for real time visibility
SAP EAM contains the key Maintenance Planning and Scheduling functionalities to support successful asset or equipment maintenance.
Why Envecon ?
Selecting powerful application is just half the job. Success needs service partner, who understands pain areas, processes and best practices in asset intensive industries. Also service partner should have intimate functional and technical knowledge of SAP.
Envecon, with it’s immense global domain experience, End-to-End SAP capabilities and solid Project and Change Management experience is very well placed to deliver full benefits to your organization.
Envecon has ready SAP EAM Template as an accelerator. Template also includes Analytics and Mobile workforce management functionality. This enables quick implementation, predictable duration and optimized cost.
Envecon’s ready SAP template for Asset Intensive industries helps organizations for faster ROI and predictable outcomes.
Building makeshift enterprise solution using multiple unconnected and disparate applications is extremely risky and costly for organization. Organization need one solid platform which offer end to end Best-in-Class functionality. SAP is a natural and only choice in this regards.
Implementing SAP needs experienced hands. With its global experience, intimate domain knowledge, SAP expertise, Envecon is well suited for successful delivery and adaptation of SAP based solution.
Envecon has SAP Global Template for asset heavy industries. Global Template makes sure that a proven solution is quickly adjusted to specific business requirement. It reduces project duration and costs. It makes things predictable and smooth.
SAP-Extended Warehouse Management (EWM) is designed to manage complex logistics execution in supply chain. EWM efficiently handles all internal process of a warehouse efficiently – goods receipt and goods issue, complex cross-docking, slotting, packing and shipping logistics, as well as cross functional activities such as LSP (Logistics Service Provider) integration, labor management and analytics.
Additionally, SAP EWM offers:
- Cross-docking (planned and opportunistic)
- Yard management is new functionality in EWM with LES and RF integration
- Dynamic cycle counting
- Easy Graphics Framework for better reports and analytics
- Labor management including integration with SAP HCM as a new functionality in SAP EWM
- Graphical warehouse layouts
- Batch and serial number management
- Slotting, rearrangement and kitting
Figure below illustrates How EWM Added functionalities covers pain areas from Traditional WM:
Best-in-class Warehouse Management solutions includes:
- Inbound/Outbound processes with Putaway/Picking optimization process.
- Slotting and Rearrangement for a product
- Yard Management to monitor and manage vehicles.
- EWM Quality Inspection function
- Cross docking enables the products or HU’s from goods receipt to goods issue without putaway occurring in between.
- Value Added Services(VAS) for packing products, labelling, or kitting
- Packaging & Replenishment
- Environmental Health and Safety (EH & S) provide support for the proper handling and storage of hazardous substances in the warehouse.
- Support of mobile data entry/scanning devices (RFid) is an integral function in EWM
- Labor Management provides a series of functions that can be used to plan labor times and resources in your warehouse more effectively with integration with SAP HCM
- Wave Processing,Kitting to Stock/Order & Reverse kitting for Outbound deliveries.
SAP EWM System controls and optimizes logistics processes across the entire supply chain and ensures higher transparency through seamless integration with the SAP ERP system.Thus SAP becomes one single platform for all Logistics Organizations covering all verticals.Envecon expertise have In-depth knowledge and Business exposure to Implement any SAP functionality.
SAP EWM – a next generation Warehouse Management System , a highly standardized and efficient warehouse management system for manual and automated warehouse solutions with following key Benefits:
- High warehouse productivity / efficiency
- High inventory accuracy
- Reduced labor costs
- Better customer service
- Flexible modelling of warehouse processes
- Stock and process transparency
- Optimization in storage planning and process execution
- Seamless integration of Automation (RF, RFID, Pick-by-Voice)
- Integration in the overall SAP Logistics Solution
- Maximized storage capacities
- Reduced IT Supports needed for logistics
It’s time to adopt next generation warehousing automation techniques & achieve continuous improvement in supply chain execution.Implementing SAP EWM by leveraging warehousing system without spending too much effort & time will definitely turns into Financial,Strategic and Operational Benefits.
Procurement excellence is increasingly becoming an important factor in delivering efficient operations. Procurement Analysis lets you streamline your procurement administration and is a fundamental part of the Supply Chain solution.
OneView will give you the tool to make your decisions faster by giving a real-time visualization of procurement performance on a single screen.
Gives all information on a single click
- Supplier Quality Statistics
- Supplier delivery Statistics
- Procurement V/s Utilization
- Procurement lead time analysis
- Inventory Ageing
- Periodic spend visibility
And many more to strengthen your procurement process.
Oneview can provide the visibility and insight needed to improve procurement performance. Thus, enabling the procurement manager to drive the procurements efficiently this will participate at improving the productivity of an organization.
Tyre related cost is a significant cost element in asset intensive industries like Ports & Terminals, Mining and Transportation. Any savings in tyre costs straight away adds to bottom line of the organization. For the same reason, COOs and Maintenance Heads spend lot of energy and time in optimizing tyre management.
Unoptimized tyre management results in following pains,
– High tyre costs due to high wear and tear
– Unplanned stoppage of cranes or vehicles
– Wasted time of asset operators
– Unplanned load on maintenance team
– Lower utilization of expensive assets
– High fuel consumption, costs
– High pollution and carbon footprint
– High maintenance costs
– Reduced safety
– High tyre inventory locking up higher working capital
An efficient tyre management system with in-depth functionality and seamless integration to other areas is needed to remove all the pain.
Recently Envecon implemented SAP Fleet Management and Enterprise Asset Management(EAM) in one of the leading Container Terminal. Terminal had large fleet of Reach Stacker, Empty Handlers and Rubber Tyre Gantry (RTGs).
Why SAP ?
SAP ERP is a de-facto leader in Asset Intensive industries. Below are some of the strengths, which makes SAP a preferred choice of Asset Intensive Industries,
– Solid Enterprise Asset Management(EAM) capabilities with Add-on functionalities
– Predictive, Condition based, Time based and Reactive maintenance strategies
– Easy to use personalizable screens
– In-depth fleet management functionality
– Seamless integration to finance, materials management, procurement etc.
– World class mobility solutions like Syclo Works Manager
– Exhaustive ready reports covering MIS aspects
– Easy data extractors for Business Warehouse(BW)
– Impressive Dashboards and analytics in Business Objects (BO)
Client had high tyre and maintenance costs. Envecon successfully optimized by streamlining this area with SAP. Client had,
– Homegrown tyre management system with limited functionality
– No integration with Finance, Materials management, Procurement etc.
– Inaccurate and unrelated master data between systems (e.g. Material code)
– No visibility into maintenance plan, tyre inventory, procurement
- Tyre is created as an equipment with link to Material Master.
- Measuring point/counters for distance travelled
- Tyre Procurement with serial no. functionality for better traceability & FIFO Logic.
- Tyre retreading process with External Vendor by Subcontracting PO
- Refurbishment process with or without serial number for tracing tyres retreading status
- Tyre life calculation with performance expectancy ratio
- Removing the tyre from vehicle & Re-Installation in another vehicle (Rotables)
- Tyre History by Usage, details of the vehicles, period, position and Total distance travel
- Complete visibility into warranty
- Scrapping through Dismantle process
- Unique Global approach for Tyre Inventory Policy
Following are the some of the benefits realized after implementation of SAP
- Planned and proactive maintenance
- increased asset utilization
- Increased fuel efficiency
- Tyres maintained as per manufacturers specifications
- Reduced accidents, and the associated downtime and costs for repairs
- Optimized tyre Inventory with releasing working capital
- Effective utilization of Tyre performance with life expectancy, decision on retreading etc.
Client is opt for implementing SAP Fleet Maintenance-Tyre Management to cover end to end functionality for better efficacy, Control on Capital being locked up in Inventory and less maintenance cost with better management reporting.
Tyre cost is a major cost component in Asset intensive industries. SAP has in-depth and easy to use functionality to take care of any business requirement. Implementing SAP with proper domain understanding and business requirement reduces tyre management costs and pay high ROI.
Ports & Terminals operate 24×7. Employees includes sub contactors, daily workers, temporary workers and staff.
In most situations, attendance details transferred to HR department periodically. Manual entries in payroll system are done, one entry at a time, for thousands of workers and staff. This procedure is tedious and not 100% accurate.
For one of our client in Ports & Terminals domain, Envecon recently implemented SAP successfully. Our client had 7000+ staff including management, permanent employees, contractors, sub-contractors and daily wage earners. Client had 230 combinations of pay structures.
HR team was stressed beyond limits with data recording, validation and payroll processing. They faced risks like,
- Inflated attendance & salary cost
- Fraudulent access gained by staff/Daily wage employees
- Forged ID card Pin/Passwords
- Difficulty in tracking leaves
- Manpower efforts for maintaining attendance records
- Inaccurate data
- Delayed salary
- Risk of Staff dissatisfactions & Legal Issues
Envecon implemented SAP-HR as part of bigger SAP implementation. Modules implemented in HR included Personnel Administration (PA), Organizational Management (OM), Time Management (TM) (Positive and Negative both) and Payroll.
Weekly, bi-weekly and monthly salary processing were implemented. All 230 required payscale structures were configured in SAP HR. Payslips and employee related master data was made available on-line to all employees.
To further streamline HR processes, Envecon recommended Biometrics related attendance system. With Biometrics, employee finger print scanning was enabled in addition to ID card.
Envecon seamlessly integrated this biometrics based attendance systems with SAP-HR. Attendance data was uploaded automatically in SAP on hourly basis.
Client realized following benefits with this initiative,
- SAP’s powerful payroll engine was utilized for complex payroll structure
- Removal of manual attendance tracking and processing, thus saving costs
- Data entry errors and correction efforts avoided
- Management got near real-time status of employee attendance
- Reduced employee costs due to genuine attendance records
- Increased employee satisfaction because of accuracy and timely payrol
Majority of companies dealing with Maritime prefer SAP HR for its,
- Powerful payroll engine capable of any pay structure
- Countrywise payroll processing and tax calculations
- Strong Organization Management
- Personnel Management and all employee data recording
- Employee and Manager Self Service Portal
- Strong E-recruitment along with job portals
- Positive and Negative Time Management & Leave Management
- Performance management
- Strong integration with Finance and budgeting
- Automated compensation adjustment (e.g. advances, loans)
- Improved reporting capabilities
Envecon Value Adds
Envecon was chosen for this project due to following strengths
- Strong Domain knowledge
- In-depth and end-to-end SAP capabilities
- Strong SAP integration capabilities
- Good understanding of terminal specific IT systems
- Proven program management capabilities
- Optimized cost with on-site off-shore model
Well implemented SAP HR by an Implementation partner with full domain understanding and seamless integration with Biometrics provides benefits like cost savings, smooth salary processing and increased employee satisfaction.