Supply chain is becoming global. Ports & Terminals are the main gateways from which this supply chain moves. Any delay in containers, causes big disruption in customer’s supply chain.
To plan in advance and avoid any disruptions in supply chain, customer expects to get container status 24×7 and from anywhere in the world. With advent of mobility and internet, they expect it to be available on mobile or tab.
Thousands of containers move in and out of terminals every day. With increased competition, terminals are interested in achieving customer loyalty through high customer satisfaction.
Traditional and manual customer support process costs lot of money. Also it is error prone. With customer expectations of 24×7 support and sometimes in multiple, languages, terminals have to either spend lot of money or risk of losing unsatisfied customer.
Interestingly, most of the information is available in Terminal Operating System in real time. But without limited access to this information, it remains in information island.
The best solution to increase customer satisfaction, reduce cost is to develop a Customer Self-service Portal. Such a portal accesses customer required information in real time from TOS and other systems like Billing etc. Such portals are secure, have multi-lingual abilities and available 24×7. Also can be accessed from anywhere from world and from any device. It can send SMS or emails to customer either on request from customer or pro-actively.
Below is the broad architecture of the customer self-service portal
Such a system can be enhanced further to show details like,
- Special Service request Management
- Container hold/released related information
- Showing billing information
- Payment processing
- Internal Management reporting
Such Customer Self-Service portals greatly reduce support costs. At the same time it increases customer satisfaction and loyalty
Port Community: What’s In It for them ?
Shipping business has many critical and external components such as shipping companies, customs, CFS (Container Freight Stations) and more.All actions of these organizations need to happen in synchronized fashion for smooth supply chain flow. This can happen only if right information is available at right time.
Customer service portal is a foundation to seamlessly connect with whole port community. Portal can be integrated with shipping lines systems to provide greater visibility of cargo to customer. Information like import availability, container booking and delivery information can be shared through portal.
It can be integrated with Customs, CFS and Trucking companies so that real time information, billing information can flow seamlessly.Also payments can be processed through this systems with direct update to accounts receivables in financial systems.
Why Envecon ?
Developing such a system needs intimate understanding of Ports and Terminal business. Besides it also need deep functional understanding of TOS and it’s data structures. Envecon has extensive and end-to-end experience with ports and terminals in 32 countries. This makes
Envecon expert and most capable IT service provider in Ports & Terminal space. Customer Service Portals also requires data to be pulled in real time. Since the application is web-based, security, performance and customer experience becomes more critical. Envecon has proven technical abilities in this space.
Explore Envecon’s SAP Service Portfolio
Maintaining Technical assets like (cranes, mobile towers, and transformers) is a complex and expensive task. Lack of relevant information at right time to technicians and decision makers, make process inefficient and expensive. Getting right information back in the system is also a challenge.
Movable technical assets like Rubber Tyre Gantry Cranes (RTGs) spread across large area. Also all such assets were outdoors and away from technical workshop. They are expected to have high up time.
Following are some of the pain areas,
- Inefficiency and extra costs due to technician not able to see assigned work in real time
- Extra efforts, delays and errors due to paperwork
- Delayed cause identification due to unavailability of maintenance history to technician at the spot
- Material availability is not visible to technician while at fault location
- Accuracy of labor reporting and component issues is compromised
- Management remained in dark about exact situation till technician came to base and entered data, correctly
Why SAP Syclo ?
SAP Syclo, is a Lightweight MEAP (Mobile Enterprise Application Platform). Syclo has multiple applications designed for key business processes.
Some of the features of Syclo applications include,
- Run on all commercially available platforms like Windows, Android & iOS
- Works even without network range and automatically synchronize when in range
- Work on tablet and smartphones as well as rugged devices
- Connects with EAM systems like IBM Maximo, Oracle and SAP EAM etc.
- Easy and intuitive user interface designed for field staff
Following are some of the key business benefits of Syclo,
- Immediate and automatic notification to technical staff
- Increased utilization of technical staff
- Zero paperwork
- Increased asset uptime due to quick availability of technical staff
- Quick resolution due to availability of maintenance history to technical staff
- Accurate and immediate labor reporting
- Accurate visibility of component availability
- Accurate and immediate component issues
- System reflecting real world situations
- Ability to take photographs and upload
- Decision makers could track and respond in near real time
- Accurate KPI tracking
SAP Syclo Work Manager is a comprehensive mobile solution for field service. It allows remote employees to manage their assigned work orders and service requests via mobile device. Also it enables quick and accurate updating back in the system. It works in off-line mode when connectivity is an issue.
SAP Syclo Work Manager enables quicker response time, higher asset up time, employee productivity and accuracy of data. It enables efficiency. Envecon streamlined and optimized this remote technical asset maintenance process with Mobile Field Service solution from SAP for one of its key client.
Explore our case study to get an insight on SAP Syclo
Many organizations deal with multiple house banks and process pay-outs such as salaries, utility bills, supplier payments and customer payments through these accounts. Reconciling all these transactions in back end ERPs such as SAP is time consuming and prone to errors.
Envecon has a ready solution for automating this process and has implemented it for its customers. The solution uses SAP PO middle-ware and secured FTP (SFTP) for automation.
Payment process is completely automated and initiated from SAP. Bank statement data can now be electronically retrieved from banks using Bank Communication Standard (BCS).
Why SAP Process Orchestration for Integration?
SAP Process Orchestration (PO) is simple, scalable and versatile middle-ware. It is a strategic integration platform of world’s leading organizations. Several clients ranging from high-tech to global manufacturing firms to major European Postal Services use SAP PO to process over half a million messages per day.
Envecon uses MT940 format to transmit bank data to customer & has configured SAP to pick up electronic bank statements and do automatic reconciliation of data received from the bank. Envecon is using SAP PO (Process Orchestration) as middle-ware platform due to its robust scale-ability and ability to integrate processes across SAP and non-SAP landscapes.
Key Benefits to Customers
- Pay-to-reconcile process across applications and systems.
- Improved control and compliance over the release of payments
- Increase operational efficiency & eliminated manual errors
- Standard, secure payment gateway with multiple banks
- Streamlined communication with house banks via single communication channel.
- Significantly simplifies payment process.
- Increased payment flow transparency through status Monitoring of payments
- Bank statements enhanced compliance through multiple approval levels for outgoing payments.
Explore Envecon’s SAP Service Portfolio
Assets lock up huge capital in asset intensive industries like Ports & Terminals, Logistics, Mining, Power, Telecom etc. Assets include cranes, trucks, furnaces, transformers, communication towers, cables and more.
Unplanned and reactive maintenance caused by break-downs increases costs, employee stress and hurt organization’s reputation in customer’s mind.
Any cost saved in capital assets, due to use of better utilization of existing assets directly increases profit. So is any cost saved in maintaining assets.
Multiple assets work in synchronized fashion to generate throughput. Unplanned downtime in any one asset affects total throughput. Planning asset performance, MRO# Inventory and human skills is a complex process.
Any asset intensive industry deserves capable asset management software, well mapped business processes and a well trained team.
Why one Single IT Platform for The Organization ?
As depicted in below diagram, all asset management processes have impact in other key areas like Finance, Materials, Procurement, Payroll etc.
Why Not a Standalone Asset Management System ?
Standalone Asset Management Systems fail miserably because of :-
- Huge integration requirement with other systems
- Master data harmonization and synchronization efforts
- More diverse skills requirement due to multiple technologies
- Additional upgrade efforts due to multiple applications
- Sub-optimal license uses
- More hardware requirement
- Higher IT maintenance cost
- Higher training costs
It is expensive, risky and frustrating to have bunch of systems, try to integrate those to weave a one single solution.
Why SAP ?
From leading Fortune 500 organizations to small organization with vision trust SAP for their business areas. SAP is the de-facto leader in Enterprise Applications areas for last 40 years. With rapid addition of functionality and technology, excellent ecosystem including fabulous support, SAP is increasing this lead.
Besides strong EAM functionality, SAP brings in-depth functionality and exciting roadmap for every aspect of organization. This includes, Finance, Costing, Materials Management, Procurement, HR, Payroll, Analytic, Service & Support and more.
By choosing SAP, organization avoids unconnected and unaligned set of applications. SAP offers screen simplification and personalization for easy acceptance by users. SAP can be implemented in phases as per organization priorities.
In summary, SAP provides One Single Solid Platform for Whole Organization!
Why SAP for Enterprise Asset Management ?
Below diagram shows End to End coverage of business processes for SAP Enterprise Asset Management (EAM)
Following are some of the strengths of SAP EAM,
- One organization, One Platform !
- Simply unmatched depth in EAM functionality
- Avoids information islands
- Minimal integration risks and costs
- Economies of scale (Licenses, Services)
- Economies of skills (Skills, Trainings, Employee Portability)
- Solid platform for Master Data Management Initiatives
- World’s leading mobile field service functionality with Syclo Works Manager
- Ready integration with world class SAP Analytic for real time visibility
SAP EAM contains the key Maintenance Planning and Scheduling functionalities to support successful asset or equipment maintenance.
Why Envecon ?
Selecting powerful application is just half the job. Success needs service partner, who understands pain areas, processes and best practices in asset intensive industries. Also service partner should have intimate functional and technical knowledge of SAP.
Envecon, with it’s immense global domain experience, End-to-End SAP capabilities and solid Project and Change Management experience is very well placed to deliver full benefits to your organization.
Envecon has ready SAP EAM Template as an accelerator. Template also includes Analytics and Mobile workforce management functionality. This enables quick implementation, predictable duration and optimized cost.
Envecon’s ready SAP template for Asset Intensive industries helps organizations for faster ROI and predictable outcomes.
Building makeshift enterprise solution using multiple unconnected and disparate applications is extremely risky and costly for organization. Organization need one solid platform which offer end to end Best-in-Class functionality. SAP is a natural and only choice in this regards.
Implementing SAP needs experienced hands. With its global experience, intimate domain knowledge, SAP expertise, Envecon is well suited for successful delivery and adaptation of SAP based solution.
Envecon has SAP Global Template for asset heavy industries. Global Template makes sure that a proven solution is quickly adjusted to specific business requirement. It reduces project duration and costs. It makes things predictable and smooth.
Fuel cost is a major cost in any asset intensive industry. A lack of cohesive Fuel Management squeezes business profitability and increases maintenance cost. SAP is capable of covering all major business scenarios in Fuel Management resulting in higher profitability.
Disorganized fuel management results in following pain areas,
- Uncertainty of available stock with risk of stock-out
- No real time view of the inventory with high working capital locked up
- Manual data entries prone to error and manipulation
- More manpower efforts & costs
- Inaccurate vehicle wise consumption data
- Increased cost of fleet operations and maintenance
- Reduced visibility of fleet operations
Solutions from SAP Fuel management with core integration to other key modules like Finance, Procurement with exhaustive Business functionalities to cope up will remove all pain areas.
In one of the recent SAP implementation for terminal, Envecon implemented SAP Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) and Fleet Management. In terms of Assets,Terminal had large fleet of Reach Stacker, Empty Handlers and Rubber Tyre Gantry (RTGs),Trucks to be managed efficiently.
SAP is one solid platform for whole organization. SAP has in-depth functionality in each of area to take care of any business requirement like,
- Enterprise Asset Management(EAM) capabilities with Add-on functionalities
- Storing integration capabilities e.g. RFID and Mobile Device Tracking for Fuel Consumption & Refilling of fuel
- Easy to use personalizable screens
- In-depth fleet management functionality
- Seamless integration to finance, materials management, procurement etc.
- World class mobility solutions like Syclo Works Manager
- Exhaustive ready reports covering MIS aspects
Client was looking for Managing Fuel consumption with optimized inventory with detailed tracking/reporting for each fleet. Envecon successfully streamlined the Business processes with the functionalities in SAP. Some Key Areas client needed attention were,
- Higher Fuel cost ,
- Inaccurate demand
- No Fuel consumption monitoring
- Increased cost of operations
- Inadequate visibility on fleet operations
Below are the Envecon key contributions:
- Efficiently managed processes for buying fuels considering Buffer stock, Minimum/Maximum quantity to order depending on consumption pattern.
- Stock Projection/Stock (Fine-Tune Inventory Insight) Management.
- Measurement counters and integration with RFid’s at Fuel stations for Mileage/consumption analysis,
- Route configuration for cost optimization for redundant trips and to avoid unnecessary wear and tear for equipment’s.
- Integration to RFid’s and integration with all Base modules e.g. FICO, MM
- Pre-defined Auto Refilling with RFid tag for all equipment’s
- Comprehensive reports including Trip sheet, Mileage, Vehicle operating cost, Consumption Analysis.
Following are some of the Benefits realized after Implementing above solutions:
- Equipment level consumption analysis,
- Improved Operational Efficiency,
- Minimize Reconciliation work by accessing integrated information and real-time reporting
- Reduced fuel costs
- Reduced cost of fleet operations and maintenance
- Centralized monitoring of fleet operations with Improved visibility
Fuel is a major cost in any asset intensive industry. It locks up sizable working capital and requires manpower to manage. Automating and integrating the full process have many benefits.
SAP has strong Fleet management capabilities coupled with inventory management, procurement, finance and integration. Automating and integrating full process surely provides visibility, savings and efficiency.
Implementing SAP fleet management with implementation partner who understands your domain will result in substantial savings, reduced pollution and increased usable life for the fleet.
SAP-Extended Warehouse Management (EWM) is designed to manage complex logistics execution in supply chain. EWM efficiently handles all internal process of a warehouse efficiently – goods receipt and goods issue, complex cross-docking, slotting, packing and shipping logistics, as well as cross functional activities such as LSP (Logistics Service Provider) integration, labor management and analytics.
Additionally, SAP EWM offers:
- Cross-docking (planned and opportunistic)
- Yard management is new functionality in EWM with LES and RF integration
- Dynamic cycle counting
- Easy Graphics Framework for better reports and analytics
- Labor management including integration with SAP HCM as a new functionality in SAP EWM
- Graphical warehouse layouts
- Batch and serial number management
- Slotting, rearrangement and kitting
Figure below illustrates How EWM Added functionalities covers pain areas from Traditional WM:
Best-in-class Warehouse Management solutions includes:
- Inbound/Outbound processes with Putaway/Picking optimization process.
- Slotting and Rearrangement for a product
- Yard Management to monitor and manage vehicles.
- EWM Quality Inspection function
- Cross docking enables the products or HU’s from goods receipt to goods issue without putaway occurring in between.
- Value Added Services(VAS) for packing products, labelling, or kitting
- Packaging & Replenishment
- Environmental Health and Safety (EH & S) provide support for the proper handling and storage of hazardous substances in the warehouse.
- Support of mobile data entry/scanning devices (RFid) is an integral function in EWM
- Labor Management provides a series of functions that can be used to plan labor times and resources in your warehouse more effectively with integration with SAP HCM
- Wave Processing,Kitting to Stock/Order & Reverse kitting for Outbound deliveries.
SAP EWM System controls and optimizes logistics processes across the entire supply chain and ensures higher transparency through seamless integration with the SAP ERP system.Thus SAP becomes one single platform for all Logistics Organizations covering all verticals.Envecon expertise have In-depth knowledge and Business exposure to Implement any SAP functionality.
SAP EWM – a next generation Warehouse Management System , a highly standardized and efficient warehouse management system for manual and automated warehouse solutions with following key Benefits:
- High warehouse productivity / efficiency
- High inventory accuracy
- Reduced labor costs
- Better customer service
- Flexible modelling of warehouse processes
- Stock and process transparency
- Optimization in storage planning and process execution
- Seamless integration of Automation (RF, RFID, Pick-by-Voice)
- Integration in the overall SAP Logistics Solution
- Maximized storage capacities
- Reduced IT Supports needed for logistics
It’s time to adopt next generation warehousing automation techniques & achieve continuous improvement in supply chain execution.Implementing SAP EWM by leveraging warehousing system without spending too much effort & time will definitely turns into Financial,Strategic and Operational Benefits.
In today’s economy, companies need to do more with less and do it faster and more efficiently than ever before.Procurement executives always face daunting challenges like,
- Standardised and streamlined practises for procurement of goods and services
- How to reduce procurement costs by closing the loop from source to pay?
- How to automate operational processes to increase efficiencies?
- Has our department got greater visibility into supplier relationships and performance?
- What are the different ways to boost procurement processing and cycle times?
- Can we minimize paper-based transaction and realized saving from spot sourcing?
SAP Supplier Relationship Management (SAP SRM) provides you with innovative methods to coordinate your business processes with your key suppliers and make them more effective. SAP SRM enables you to optimize your procurement strategy, to work more effectively with your supplier pool, and thus to gain long-term benefits from all your supplier relationships.
Why SAP SRM?
SAP SRM’s Procure-to-Pay will help you stay flexible by ensuring control and compliance between your vendors, contracts, regulations, buyers, and finance organizations. You can scale your resources to dynamically manage suppliers, processes, budgets, approvals, and payments on a global basis. SAP SRM Procure-to-Pay comes with Best-In-Class features that are automatically updated with each new release. SRM can be handled cloud base as well as in unified SAP On-premises.
Key solution in SAP SRM:
Across the SAP install base, companies today are looking to transform their purchasing function from tactical procurement to strategic supply management.
- Innovations for Operational sourcing: Shopping Cart Modifications, Embedded Supplier Analytic & Enhanced Bid Comparison to determine awards.
- Contract Life cycle Management to support full contract management process for contract execution and compliance.
- Innovation for Contract Management: Electronic signature, advanced clause change support, Bar-code generation for contract documents, e-RFx & e-auction.
- Spend Analysis identifies saving opportunities by enriching, classifying and analysing company spend data.
- Supplier Life-cycle Management, Order collaborations, Collaborative Invoice to Pay & Commodity Management.
Following Diagram illustrates SRM Procure-to-Pay Collaborative approach with all Stakeholders :
SAP SRM Benefts:
With the SAP SRM solution, SAP pre-configured business scenarios can quickly deploy and gain following benefits:
- Proactive compliance across contracts,Processes,regulations and supplier strategies
- Maximize value and ROI of your sourcing negotiations with fast time to value
- Actively controls global spend with flexible management and visibility tools
- Rapid enablement of new supplier with consolidated procurement tool that unifies all ERP’s
- User-customizable dashboards across all aspects of managed commerce
- Advanced contract compliance with Mobile approvals
- Seamless receipt and reconciliation processes
- Flexible global processes, budget checking, and approvals with dynamic purchasing groups
SAP SRM application helps you streamline operations, improve purchasing compliance, and enhance cost management.As a result, you can manage spending while maintaining access to high-quality products and a reliable supply base.
Top management of Ports & Terminals is increasingly under pressure to improve,
- Service Level
- Asset Utilization
- Berth Productivity
- Truck Turnaround Time
- Gate and Yard Operations
Typically, performance information is spread across multiple systems. Also master data is not harmonized across systems. Issue gets complicated further at Regional or Corporate level, as each terminal can have different application systems. Process to get performance status is manual, slow, error-prone and inflexible. It is also open to manipulations.
Top management may be flying blind in such situations. CEOs,COOs, Operations Heads, Commercial Heads desire to track all KPIs in one View. They want this in real-time, 24 x 7 and from anywhere.
“OneView on SAP Business Intelligence” is designed keeping this senior management need in mind.
OneView is designed with focus on top management’s requirement. It’s SAP version can run on proven SAP BW (Business Warehouse) and SAP Business Objects (BO).
Typically terminals have multiple systems like,
- Terminal Operating System (TOS)
- Time & Attendance (Workforce Management)
- Remote Crane Management Systems (RCMS)
- Fuel Management Systems
- Tyre Management System
- ERPs like SAP to handle Materials, Procurement, HR & Finance
OneView pulls data from multiple systems into SAP BW and visualizes it, using SAP BO. Below diagram depicts broad BI architecture for terminals with OneView.
Out of the box Dashboards, are designed using its global experience with terminals in more than 30 countries. Also, Envecon can quickly customize OneView with its Business Knowledge and knowledge of systems used in terminals.
OneView dashboards are designed for each senior role and each functional area like,
- Operations (e.g. Berth, Shift, Crane Performance etc)
- Commercials (Budget Vs. Actual, Break-up Cargo or Freight Type)
- Asset Performance (MTBF, Availability, Fuel per Box etc.)
- Work Force Management
Dashboards are visual, impressive and easy to use. Dashboards are available on Mobile (iPhone, Android and Windows).
Why SAP BW/BO ?
SAP Business Warehouse (BW) and SAP Business Objects (BO) is a proven BI solution globally. It is a trusted Business Intelligence solution, being used by large global Fortune 500 companies.
SAP BW pulls data easily from any system like TOS, Billing, Time & Attendance etc.. SAP BW is scalable and offers many standard extractors. It has in-built functionality for data cleansing, massaging and summarizing. BW can be based on Oracle or MS SQL database technology.
For turbocharged performance, management can choose SAPs in-memory HANA database. HANA can run 1,000 times faster than conventional technology. It helps top management in complex situations like predicting asset failures or future maintenance costs.
BW can easily combine data from different systems to give single source of truth. E.g. Moves from TOS and Maintenance Data from EAM Systems.
SAP BW and BO do not need SAP ERP and can run with any ERP or other systems..
OneView dashboards based on SAP BO are,
- Can be Real-Time
- Capable of doing What-If Analysis e.g. Impact of price hike
- Intuitive and User-friendly
- Can be accessed from anywhere on mobile
OneView on SAP BI bring following benefits to top management of Ports & Terminals,
- Terminal Performance in all areas at a glance
- Get single view from multiple systems
- Access it on mobile from anywhere on the go
- Impressive Dashboards
- Meaningful and relevant KPIs
- Tracks performance against targets
- Can be easily customized for any specific business need
- Enables quick decision making
Envecon is known for it’s terminals domain expertise globally. Envecon brought following strengths to OneView,
- Global experience in serving terminals in 30+ countries
- Understanding of top management requirement
- Understanding of IT systems used in terminals and its data structures
- Technical capabilities of SAP BW and SAP BO
“What’s Measured, Improves !” said management guru Peter Drucker.
Top management is responsible for tracking terminal performance accurately and in real time. It is responsible for reacting with quick and right decisions.
OneView with its impressive dashboards with relevant KPIs from multiple systems enables top management to track entire terminal performance from anywhere and take right decisions.